Have PCOD. Suggested novlon - 21 pills. What are the chances of conceiving?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi sir/mam, I am 2 years married and having PCOD problem for the past 3 years. Recently, our doctor done laproscopy to me on 23.12.2012, after that, i got period in this month. However, my doctor suggested me to use Novlon - 21 pills this month to streamline the natural period. Is it correct to use Novlon pills in this time and when i will get chance to conceive? pls....suggest me
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your present problem and past surgical history.

Novelon-21 is a combined oral contraceptive pill containing Desogestrel & Ethinyl Estradiol and used for the prevention of pregnancy & regularization of period.

As you recently underwent laparascopic surgery for PCOD, you need to take above pill for at least 1-2 cycle to streamline the normal period & correct hormonal imbalance although you are getting period normally. Regular period is essential for proper timing of ovulation & to be conceived.

Therefore, you may try for conceiving after intake of pills for 2 cycles. You should stop taking after that. Here, you can predict ovulation day/fertile days by using Ovulation Prediction Kit (OPK). You can use these details and time unprotected intercourse during these fertile day. You have the maximum chances to conceive and become pregnant.

In addition, the following life style modification can be helpful:
1) Physical exercise regularly to control body weight
2) Take healthy diet and avoid spicy/fatty/salty food stuff.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat fresh vegetables & fruits.
4) Avoid stress/tension by regular XXXXXXX breathing exercise (20-30 times)
5) Maintain personal hygiene and rest adequately 6-8 hrs daily.
6) Take vitamin E & Folic acid supplements in preconception period (usually 3 months).

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad