Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Has low neutrophil count. Smear test are negative for blasts and also indicate mature cell production. Should I worry?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
my daughter is fairly healthy .. however she has low neutrophil count ehich ranges from 100 - 1000 on sny given .. she is normially not sick.. smaer test are negative for blasts .... and also indicate msture cell production .. should I n e worried
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation With Hematologist Recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very reasonable one. Some people have a neutrophil, which maintains just below the lower limit of normal. This does not always represent a pathological process. In some cases this can be followed with regular complete blood counts To see if there is some type of cyclical pattern. In certain cases where patients have recurrent infections sometimes doctors will recommend supplementation with a growth factor to stimulate the production of neutrophils.

It sounds like in the case of your daughter however, that she is not dealing with recurrent infections. I do think she should see a hematologist for a baseline assessment. The hematologist me recommend a certain frequency of checking the complete blood count again to see if there is any pattern which might benefit from treatment should she ever develop issues with recurrent infections.

It seems like a benign Process in the case of your daughter but I think establishing care with an expert hematologist would be beneficial for future management and observation.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor