Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Hard,tender lump on side of face,lump rolls,eyelid swollen after tick attached to it

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2357 Questions
I woke up this morning with a hard, tender lump on the side of my face, in front of my ear. It feels like a pea under the skin as it rolls around a bit when i touch it. I have no other symptoms, but could this be related to the tick that was attached to my eyelid a few days ago? (Gross, I know. We live in a heavily wooded neighborhood and I guess it attached while I was sleeping). The place on my eye is still swollen, looking like a stye as it heals.
Sun, 20 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

With the brief description you have mentioned, the lesion could be either an allergic reaction to an insect bite or a lymph node secondary to the infection in the surrounding region.

In the first condition, because of the introduction of irritative substance into skin by insect bite or by other means, an allergic reaction sets in, wherein the various mediators of inflammation are released causing redness, swelling and pain.

In the second instance, there are lymph nodes present in front of the ear which get enlarged because of the infection in the surrounding area. These lymph nodes help in combating the infection and meanwhile get enlarged according to the severity. They are also called policeman of our body.

Without a proper examination it is very difficult to come to a conclusion whether it is just a reaction to the tick bite or enlarged lymph node secondary to the reaction over the eye.

In any case, you can try taking antihistaminics to reduce the allergic reaction and an antiinflammatory (such as diclofenac/ibuprofen) to reduce the pain and inflammation. If the swelling does not subside, you might as well require an antibiotic to combat the infection consult your treating for the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor