Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Hand injury, knotted, bruise discoloration. Is it because of the hit or something else?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I hit my hand against the frame of my bed tucking in a sheet. A big knot with bruise coloration raised up immediately on the back of my hand. Is it just a bruise and I hit it just right to swell so big?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
A bruise is a wound caused by blunt trauma resulting in bleeding from minor blood vessels under skin and soft tissues.
The discolouration of the bruise is due to blood pigments deposited in skin.
The swelling associated is due to the accumulation of blood or inflammatory fluid in the wound.
According to your description you seem to have a bruise due to ruptured blood vessel causing the sudden increased swelling by accumulation of blood .Since there are many blood vessels on the back of hand and they are very superficial it is possible for even minor trauma to cause a large bruise.
If the bleeding is minor then there will be not much increase in the swelling, however the pain and discolouration might persistfor few days to a couple of weeks.

If there is increased swelling , unbearable pain, apperance of new bruises nearby, or inability to move the fingers then there might be a possibility of underlying musculoskeletal injury.So you
might have to consult your doctor , get an xray and confirm the diagnosis.

As of now it seems to be a bruise and should resolve gradually on it's own or might need analgesics and antiinflammatory drugs like acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain and swelling.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor