Hand and feet cold compare to rest body. What could be the cause?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 9 May 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello
We are of Indian origin, vegetarian and have lived in London since 1976 when we emigrated from East Africa, my father is 76 years old and for the past few months I have noticed that his hands remain cold compared to the rest of his body.
Initially I thought this was due to the bad weather we have had but whilst our home has been warm his hands have remained very cold and they still do even though the weather has become warmer.
What could be the causes of this?
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 14 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX welcome and thanks for writing in.
It is not probably due to bad weather. Considering past history of diabetes and stent in heart , it denotes there were arterial block in heart due to hypertension induced atherosclerosis.
Now presenting symptoms are possibly due to atherosclerosis of small vessels of hands. Another diagnosis is reynaulds phenomenon, which is may cause such symptoms. In this disease also small vessels are affected.
You need to consult board certified surgeon for clinical examination. . Investigation like colour doppler study of upper limb or angiography may be necessary depending on clinical situation and pulse palpation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 8 minutes later
Hello Dr. Sanap,

As you have assumed my father hasnt had any past history of diabetes, please reply my query again.

Thank you.

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 5 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
I didn't assumed about diabetes. It was my mistake. I want to say history of high blood pressure. It was mistakenly typed as both factors are contributing in atherosclerosis.
I am extremely sorry for inconvenience. Rest of explanation is consistent with symptoms.

Regards.