Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Haemoglobin test done. What should I eat to increase my haemoglobin level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
I had my haemoglobin test yesterday and today i have got d report. Its 7.1. I am 23 yrs of age and just 3 months back i have got married.....I am worried.What should i eat or do to increse my HB level?I dont get fatigued nor do I experience any illness?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

A hemoglobin level of 7.1 is definitely very less and something must be done to correct this.

The first thing needs to be done is correct diagnosis. We must know why the hemoglobin is low. This could be due to iron deficiency (may be due more bleeding in periods, piles, poor intake etc.), B12 deficiency.

Please visit your family doctor and get it diagnosed first. After that as per the deficiency treatment is required.

In females low hemoglobin is not uncommon, still one must not ignore it.

In general please do the following which should help.

Take good health diet, XXXXXXX in green leafy vegetable, milk and milk products
Beat and green salad is good to take on daily basis.
Take sprouted moong, chana etc.

Visit to doctor and medicines are must. Do not stop medicines on your own, please complete the course as advised.

Apart from this please avoid being pregnant till your hemoglobin comes to normal and any deficiency is corrected.

Pregnancy at this time is not good for you and the child. Both will have health concerns.

Do not worry, visit your doctor and you should be fine.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor