Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Periods regular. Do not want pregnancy. What type of medicine should I take?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 725 Questions
hello I had unprotected sex with my boy friend April 7, I usually get my period about 28 of every month and I dont want to get pregnant. Please what typy of medicine will i need?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 28 days later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

You are at risk of having pregnancy as you had unprotected sex.

There are emergency hormonal contraceptives available but it should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

You should go for urine pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy.

Alternatively , you may consult your gynecologist to find out the reason for delayed menses, whether it is pregnancy or something else.
If you have pregnancy and you do not want to have it, doctor may offer mifepristone and misoprostol like drugs for medical termination of pregnancy. But it should be done under strict guidance of gynecologist.

Further, you should use acceptable contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor