Had unprotected sex. Missing period and getting white discharge. What are the chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Doc, i am a 19 year old girl, i am living with my fiance,

My periods are irregular for the past one year varying from 32 days - 40 days,

My last period was on Nov 29th 2012, i was supposed to have it on XXXXXXX 2013 1st week, but it has not started as yet, my fiance and i had intercourse 2-3 time in the past 1 month, He is very much confident that he didnt do it inside me, though once we had unprotected intercourse the rest we were protected,

I had cramp before 4-5 days and for the past 4-5 days i also have white dis-charge that i generally have before periods, but i am anticipating it and i am yet to have my days,

I am very much stressed and scared because i am unmarried and we have planned to marry only after 2 years, though my family know about my fiance very well and approved our marriage wholeheartedly, we all live in the same house still i am much scared and stressed if i could be preg,

I do not have any symptoms of early pregnancy, I do have white discharge which i have a week before periods, I feel like having my days started but it does not, Even my fiance is very much distressed,

Kindly help us out since we do not know what to do now
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
The chances of being pregnant is there. However to confirm the status of pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.
If the blood test comes out negative, you may have to go for investigations like USG lower abdomen, Thyroid Profile, LH/FSH, Blood sugar etc to rule out underlying pathology, if any. It may be due to hormonal imbalance, Irregular eating habit, stress/anxiety,Ovarian cyst etc.

Consult with your Gynecologist/Physician and take suggestive measures according to reports.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply
All the tests came out negative including strip test, blood test, eveything, please inform the reasons that could delay it, I am overweight by ten kilos
Please inform any tonic required or suggest a good diet please
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The other reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here as pregnancy is ruled out.
Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly.
Having a low fat and low calorie diet to reduce the weight will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Dear doc,

Thanks for the reply,

Kindly suggest a good diet and things to be included and excluded,

Also inform if i can take iron tablets to regularize it or any other tonic which would be beneficial in general
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 hours later
The natural treatment of irregular periods and being overweight involves loosing the extra body weight with the help of a healthier diet, getting more exercise, and then supplementing with vitamins.
Balance low GI carbohydrates with adequate protein.
Include phytoestrogens in your diet.
Buy organic foods whenever possible.
Reduce your intake of saturated fats.
Limit or avoid dairy.
Drink two litres of filtered water daily.
Avoid additives, preservatives and food chemicals such as artificial sweeteners.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
Avoid sugar on its own and hidden in foods.
Include essential fatty acids in your diet.
You can get an appropriate diet charted out for you according to your food preferences by a dietitian.
Iron tablets may help you but you need a hormonal treatment under the guidance of your gynecologist to regularize these.
Regards.