Had unprotected sex. Developed pharyngitis and candida. Chances of HIV?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello Doctor , 18 days ago now I gave head ( gave fellation ) for no more than 5 secondes and stopped my partner didnt come in my mouth . 7 days after i started to have candida in my mouth , with fever . 2 days ago I also developed a pharyngitis , my doctor prescribed me 3 medications for these two problems ( candida , pharyngitis ) , but tonight I had two stool of diahrea ( though diahrea is mentioned as possible side effects for the 3 medication) . What do you think , these symptoms candido, fever, pharyngitys, diahrea evoke the begining of HIV dont they ? but the risk I have taken is so small isnt it ? also I took a test at day 10 post sexual inercourse both elisa and P24 and they were negative , what do you think , please help me ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting you query.

Fellatio for 5 seconds without any ejaculation of semen is quite unlikely to cause HIV.

Whereas candiada infection and other bacterial infections both STD and non STD are quite possible. As your physician already giving you treatment for both candida and bacterial infections you will be alright soon. As you have pointed out that the loose stools may be due to side effects of the drug. Change of the drug will help in this regard. If you have the problem persisting the you have to go for a culture and sensitivity test taken from a swab from your throat.
P24 antigen test is highly sensitive as early as within a week and when it is negative after 10 days the possibility of HIV is quite unlikely.
Moreover the earliest symptoms of HIV can occur only after 3-4 weeks no earlier than this. So need not worry about HIV. But having an ELISA or antibody test after 3 months is a wiser decision.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli