Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Had severe knee damage after knee accident. Needed L TKR. Hurt knee again by falling. Sufer from pain. Have ulcers from NSAID's. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 301 Questions
Dear Dr. I am particularly medically savvy and I have tried everything to get help with this issue. Some quick background: I lost my state job of 14 years last year after a major car accident. Aside from extra knee damage I was very lucky to have survived. After the accident,I had a much needed L TKR. My recovery was slow and difficult due to the other injuries I incurred. I was healing nicely until may of this year I damaged the knee by falling. It hurts everyday and gives out occasionally. It has a constant bluish tint and is effusive. It hurts as much or more than it did before surgery. I had a R TKR in 2008 so I have something to compare. Here are my MANY barriers to treatment:
1. I am unisured.
2. I have a primary care Dr. but no ortho will see me w/o insurance. I have sent letters to over 22 orthopedic Dr's in my area.
3. I was finally able to see an ortho at a "low income" clinic type hospital. He had no answers and reccomended I get and MRI. Of course, I have no $$ for that. (he also had some very inapropriate comments for me and the other patients)
3. My primary is unwilling to provide pain management for me. I understand her problem. I have ulcers from NSAID's and I can not take Tramadol b/c of it's interaction with my Adderal. The tramadol is very ineffective anyway. I took narcotics for almost 6 months after my 2008 TKR and was able to taper off with my Dr's supervision.
4. I have been to 4-5 "urgent care" centers and ER's when it is just so bad I have to be on crutches. I tell them I fell recently. Most all have said that I likely torn a tendon or "pushed" the kneecap out of alignment. I know I still have some tendons even after TKR.
5. I have also conatcted pain Dr's. No insurance, no visit.
6. I am currently self-employed and I am not eligible for medicare.
7. I need a PC Dr. who can help me along until I am insured through ACA or I can afford to get an MRI. I have not been able to find one.
8. My injury is obvious and has limited me in my DLA and the type of work I can take. I have gained 40 hard lost lbs because I can not move around. I can't even do my laundry. This is ruining my life.

Any advice?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. David Okia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
My advice is use morphine.

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your question.
I would advice you to consult HOSPICE ( WWW.WWWW.WW , they have team of doctors and nurses that can help you.
there must be non profit organization like HOSPICE that should be able to provide you with drugs like morphine in your area.
You urgently need drugs for pain management given your history above.
You might need surgical operation but with out insurance it might be impossible however HOSPICE from my experience tries to help patients get help from volunteer surgeons.
Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have other queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had severe knee damage after knee accident. Needed L TKR. Hurt knee again by falling. Sufer from pain. Have ulcers from NSAID's. Help? 14 hours later
Thank you for your answer---though bit shocked. I have spoken to nurses at two facilities where I have been for this problem. I have been told even without asking that hospice provides services to the terminally ill ONLY and medicaid foots the XXXXXXX I am currently seeing a primary care and I saw an orthopedic Dr. through "low income" health services. Neither could refer me. Can you? Do you know of any volunteer pain Dr?? Not even drug dealers work for free!

By the way, i checked for an answer to my question this AM and this PM. It was not here, so I made several complaints. I suppose it was just a computer problem so please do not take any of those remarks seriously.

I only wish I had an answer. I am becoming seriously depressed.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Free clinics in USA.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up.

Your situation is very difficult because most doctors I have tried to personally contact don't offer free services. All deal with insured patients. However, one of them gave me this web site. WWW.WWWW.WW
Please open and check if you have free clinic in your area.

Hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor