Had miscarriage. Took siphene 150mg and trying to conceive. Should I go for ultrasound?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Taken siphene 150mg on april,got conceived,but miscarriage at 8th week,again ttc with siphene 150mg this month,so do i need to go for ultrasound or we can intercourse on ovulating days without going for scan,pls help me
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 22 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Ultrasound is just used for monitoring the follicle size and if ovulation is occurring.

There is no harm in not going for ultrasound in your second cycle.

If you will ovulate and you have the timely intercourse then you would conceive.

So the outcome of treatment will not differ with ultrasound tests.

Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 17 minutes later
Thanks for replying,

so will u plz tell the time to intercourse as i'm on siphene 150mg from yesterday i.e.,from 2nd day of my cycle and tell me the precautions to avoid miscarriage.

thanks in advance., XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 14 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

If you do not wish to have midcycle ultrasounds then I must say you should only if you got a pretreatment ultrasound to rule out possibility of ovarian cysts where such treatment are contraindicated.
The other advantage of having the midcyle ultrasound is to time your intercourse and visualize proper growth of follicles which would enhance the positive outcome of your treatment.

Intercourse is advised as per ovulation seen on ultrasounds. However usually intercourse between day 10 to day 16 is done.

To avoid miscarriage, your doctor would prescribe you progesterone supplement and folic acid tablet in the later half of cycle.

This is the importance of following as your doctor says and checking regularly with her when on treatment for pregnancy.

Kindly visit your gynecologist for the same.

Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 7 hours later

Thanks for reply,

i got ur advice,but the thing is my family is planning to go out for a trip in next week for 15 days where it will be difficult for me to go for scans.Last time when i used siphene 150mg ,i didn't go for scans due to outdoor works but we are sexually active ,hence conceived but had miscarriage.

So my concern here is to know whether scan is necessary to give birth to healthy baby without miscarriage.If it so,then i plan accordingly.

My doctor is out of station to seek her advice,and she 'll be available only at month ending.So please help me doctor.

Thanks in advance, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 11 hours later
Hello there.

No getting an ultrasound wont prevent the risk of miscarriage.

It would only help you in knowing if you are likely to conceiving by depicting the follicle size and intercourse timing.

To prevent miscarriage, firstly you should avoid physical stress. Long journeys which cause exertion should be avoided.

Secondly you ask your doctor to prescribe you progesterone containing tablets which you have to use in the later half of your cycle.

Thirdly use of folic acid tablet is beneficial when you are trying to conceive and definitely avoids miscarriage.

You need to get the above medication by prescription from a gynecologist.