Had itchiness with application of Sporanox on ringworm. Can benadryl be taken for itchy discomfort?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son is 22 and had what the doctor said was ringworm on his forearms. He was prescribed 200mg Sporanox once daily. This afternoon, he complained of itching and he has a few spots on his skin. The doctor advised (through voicemail msg) discontinuation of the Sporanox, but didn't suggest anything for the itchy rash. Can he take Benadryl for the itching discomfort until the med gets out of his system?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Drug rash : antihistamines for control. Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your son's skin problem and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Your son seems to have developed a drug rash. Now most important is the discontinuation of the drug. Next he might need a course of antihistamines. Benadryl would surely help but make sure to give it in adequate dose. In adults , the dose has to be repeated three to four times a day. In addition, topical application of calamine lotion over the affected areas twice a day will help in relieving the associated discomfort. He might need this treatment for some three to five days but if inspite of treatment the skin lesions continue to appear or increase, then you should see the treating doctor or a dermatologist soon as in severe cases oral steroids have to be started. Hope it helps, If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T