Owl Image

Had heel chord lengthening surgery. Getting difficulty in movement. What can I do?

Owl Image
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Question
I had heel chord lengthening surger around 3 to 5 years of age. I am 27 now and i do have ok movement but not a whole lot when i raise my foot up or if sitting down try to point my toes back toward me. What can i do to better the range of motion?
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 38 minutes later

From description , it seems after heel cord lenthening surgery in childhood,you still having some tightness in tendoachilles(heel cord). Due to this you have difficulty in raising the foot up.

For better range of motion you can do active heel cord stretch.Active stretching is a method that involves holding stretches for short durations.
To perform an active Achilles stretch, sit on any surface with your legs straight in front of you. Pull your toes toward you until you feel a stretch in the Achilles tendon along the back of the bottom of your calf. Hold this stretch for five seconds and then relax your toes forward.

Hope this discussion was useful. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon.