Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Had heel chord lengthening surgery. Getting difficulty in movement. What can I do?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I had heel chord lengthening surger around 3 to 5 years of age. I am 27 now and i do have ok movement but not a whole lot when i raise my foot up or if sitting down try to point my toes back toward me. What can i do to better the range of motion?
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 38 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.

From description , it seems after heel cord lenthening surgery in childhood,you still having some tightness in tendoachilles(heel cord). Due to this you have difficulty in raising the foot up.

For better range of motion you can do active heel cord stretch.Active stretching is a method that involves holding stretches for short durations.
To perform an active Achilles stretch, sit on any surface with your legs straight in front of you. Pull your toes toward you until you feel a stretch in the Achilles tendon along the back of the bottom of your calf. Hold this stretch for five seconds and then relax your toes forward.

Hope this discussion was useful. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor