Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Had genital warts. Colon cancer check up showed anal warts. What is the problem?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
I am a 65 year old male when I was younger I had genital warts now I went for a colon cancer check up and was told I might have anal warts. I have not had sex in that area. Do you think they can come back after all that time
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there.
How young exactly were you when you were diagnosed with warts? Were they serotyped back then & if so, what number did they ascribe to the warts eg HPV6/HPV18? When they say anal they mean there are visible growths on the external skin surface perianal orifice region or are these warts on the inside on the mucous membrane of the anal region? I understand you have not had anal sex. However, these warts may have been seeded easily by the fingers/rubbing/scratching/washing etc. It is possible for warts to remain dormant for ages before showing up when the immunity is down for some reason..even a mundane fever much alike another viral disease called herpes. But, my guess is that they were never completely irradicated in the first instance in either you or one of your partners'/spouse. No need to fear..with today's technology, they are easily addressed, typed & eradicated. Good hope have answered your queries. Cheers!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had genital warts. Colon cancer check up showed anal warts. What is the problem? 20 hours later
doctor to answer your question i had the warts about 30 years ago in both places.
i had the same doctor do my colonoscopy 10 years go and no warts.
on his report he writs (presumed) perianal condylomata also under diagnosis codes he writes viral warts, unspecified.

he also told me to goto my dermatologist is that correct or do i go to a surgin i am confuused! Please help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 6 hours later
Hi there.
The person to go to for any treatment in the region esp if condyloma accuminata was diagnosed is a DERMATOLOGIST.
Dont can recur & is easily treated as i suggested earlier.
Depending on the size, he/she will prescribe a cream/lasers/surgical excision & it will be over & done with in a jiffy under local anaesthesia. So relax.
Hope this has given you pointers to make an informed deciscion & all will be well soon! Do holler & let us know all is well. take care.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor