Had gallbladder removal surgery. Pain in stomach and back while coughing. What's wrong?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I had my gallbladder out at the end of nov. Now I think I have the flu. All the coughing has made me hurt really badin my stomac and back. Any chance after this long im bleeding inside?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 31 minutes later
Its extremely unlikely that you're bleeding. Its possible that the stitches which might be hurting if it was an open (non laproscopic surgery) surgery. Secondly, the pain can also be due to an infection in the lungs. If you have very severe pain, high grade fever or vomiting then get an sonography and a chest Xray done to look for any collection or issues with the lung or missed bile duct stones ( unlikely).
Hope this helps
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli