What causes pain under the right rib cage upon movements?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 May 2018 in Lump
Question: Thank you.
minor pain starting several months ago at my lower right rib area. over last week or two, the pain has increased but doesn't hurt unless I move a certain way or touch the area. I do exercise moderately but don't remember bumping the area. Should I have it checked out by my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possible gallbaldder issue

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic.
Thank you for your query.

Your symptoms may be suggestive of gallbladder stones so you should do at least ultrasound or CT scan to evaluate it more accurately. This is mostly caused by the stone in the bile duct and is a very common condition.

Stones are seen more commonly in obese people and those with diabetes. You need to change your dietary habits first. Need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables, and boiled food.

If there is no improvement in lifestyle despite the dietary changes, then surgery is recommended. Other causes include pancreatitis or pleurodynia and should be considered if gallbladder stones are ruled out.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions you can contact us at every time.

Kind regards.
Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee