Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Had alopecia and miscarriage. Looking for an endocrinologist who can diagnose the problem

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
I'm looking for an endocrinologist that works with female hormones and tests the reproductive organs with a saliva test and urine test?
I take .125 levoxyl daily, am very active and fit weight management is not a problem...I hold a steady 116-123lbs. Im an esthetician, so i live fairly low stress allthough my work is busy and very physical, but I have great skin and look much younger than I am. I had a global alopecia a few times before the age of 20, however have almost full brows and eyelashes now for the first time in 20+ years!! I recently had a miscarriage at 8 weeks. I had just been married for the first time, and so my hormones went on a roller-coaster ride for 3 months, as I'm feeling more normal now!! I hope this helps give you a more specific detail of me & my thyroid...

Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

While you are looking for an endocrinologist, I am going to suggest something else to you. Given your recent marriage, miscarriage, and thyroid issues I am going to suggest that you first find a good OB/GYN. You need counseling on thyroid disease, its management during pregnancy, and its possible contribution to your miscarriage (if it was not in good control).

Thyroid levels are not accurately tested in the saliva and urine. It is bound by proteins in the blood and anyone claiming that they can follow levels accurately with saliva and urine is just not being honest.

In a patient who is NOT pregnant, a blood test of TSH is the most accurate way to measure thyroid function. When you are pregnant, MORE of the hormone is bound by protein (and total thyroid levels appear to be increased) AND TSH is falsely supressed. So in pregnant women, the best way to follow thyroid levels is by measuring the 'free T4' level. These are all blood tests. If you want to have a healthy pregnancy and reduce your risk of miscarriage that might be related to thyroid disease, then the blood test is the way to go. Even if you are not planning on pregnancy, a blood test is still the only accurate way to measure how your thyroid is functioning. I am sure that you can find people who will perform these alternative tests, but they are just trying to take your money!

I commend you on your healthy lifestyle. I hope that this helps. I am sure that you can find an OB/GYN that can help you and counsel you appropriately.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had alopecia and miscarriage. Looking for an endocrinologist who can diagnose the problem 10 hours later
I am looking for a doctor that can do you have any recommendations?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Given your age and prior miscarriage, I would recommend that you see an REI specialist (this stands for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility). We typically send patients to them who are have infertility issues, but the fact is that they have special training in endocrinology in women. They are trained in OB/GYN and have specialty training (typically 2-3 additional years) of REI training.

This would be the perfect match for you!

Check out this site for some additional information:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor