Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Had D & C due to miscarriage, bleeding after surgery. Can I get my period with this HCG level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Hi. I had a miscarriage so I had to have a d and c operation. I started bleeding heavy 4 weeks after surgery. My hcg level was 28 I know this because I had to go for bloodwork. My question is: can I get my period with a hcg level of 28?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.
You had a miscarriage following which a dilatation and curettage (D&C) would be done.
Normally, your first period will not arrive until four to seven weeks after D and C. There is a probability that the bleeding you are having now could be due to other factors than your normal periods. Your human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) level is 28, which can indicate pregnancy. An hCG level of less than 5mIU/ml is considered negative for pregnancy, and anything above 25mIU/ml is considered positive for pregnancy.

There are certain conditions which can show high levels of hCG like:

1. The remnants of the products of conception which could have been left after D&C. This could have contributed to the high chorionic gonadotropin levels.
2. Molar and Ectopic pregnancy (here too, you will observe chorionic gonadotropin levels are increasing).

You will first need to monitor your hCG levels to see whether they are increasing or decreasing. Further, you will need a physical examination by a gynaecologist and then an ultrasound would be needed. An ultrasonography in needed to rule out if there is any products of conception have been left and to rule out an ectopic or molar pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor