Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Got small wound above anus. Bleeding lightly with white discharge. Applying baby antibiotic. using preparation H cleansing wipes. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
My son got a small wound above the anus in the butt crack after the pool party at his friend's house. It's bleeding lightly and occasionally there's a white discharge. The wound diameter is about 2mm. We tried applying a baby antibiotic ointment - not much change. He is using preparation H cleansing wipes.
Please advise.
Thank you in advance.

Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such wound in the butt crack area is most likely caused by pilonidal cyst. This condition is caused by ingrowing hair which is quite common in this area. Such cyst can be present for some time without a symptoms. However if it will get infected, pus starts to accumulate. It leads to an abscess which is painful, the area around can be swollen and reddish.
Infected pilonidal cyst needs to be incised and pus evacuated. Without that, it may cause symptoms for a long time.

Please visit general surgeon and consider incision. Antibiotics might be necessary as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor