Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Got head injury. Lump appeared and have headache. Hurts to touch. Should I go for treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
I took a sleeping pill last night without thinking that I had had wine earlier. The combination hit very soon and I fell on my way back to bed from bathroom. I am not sure exactly what happened, but I either hit the back of my head on the door frame or hit the back of my head on the bottom of a vanity cabinet while trying to get up. I laid there for several minutes before being able to get up and getting to the bed. I did not break the skin but have a baseball size lump on the back of my head with a very soft center. It is painful to the touch, and I have had headaches all day. Tylenol has not helped.No other symptoms. Should I see a doctor right away or give it a few days?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
In head injury we have to see a doctor immediately if you have any episode of vomiting, Loss of consciousness and any ENT bleed after injury. But as you are drunk than symptoms can be mismatched with alcohol complications and patient has to kept under observation till it clears or go for the CT scan of head. I hope you have none of the symptoms till night.

Now about the lump try ice cold fermentation to reduce swelling and pain. In addition to this you have to take analgesic drugs like Diclofenac and anti-inflammatory drugs like trypsin and Chymotrypsin. If your lump and symptoms reduces than continue with the same medication.

But if you feel any fever, headache become worse or other above said related symptoms than you need an immediate medical help. Go to the emergency as soon as possible and get your CT head done.

Hope I have answered your question. Write again if you have another query. I will be happy to answer them.

Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Got head injury. Lump appeared and have headache. Hurts to touch. Should I go for treatment? 39 minutes later
Is there an over the counter anti-inflammatory med or will I need a prescription? I have not heard of Diclofenac. Is that prescription or over the counter? If prescription, is there an over the counter analgesic you would suggest? The only prescription pain med I have is hydrocodine which I was thinking of taking at bed time.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 12 minutes later
Hello and thanks again for posting the query
You need a prescription for both anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs. They will not available at the counter. The only analgesic that is available is paracetamol or Tylenol which you are already taking and not helping you. Try cold fermentation it will help you a lot.
You can take Hydrocodine but not in day time if you are working or have to drive, as it causes dizziness. Take rest if you want to take it in day.
Thanks again for the query. Write back if you have another query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor