Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Got bug bite on forearm. Should I go for medical treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
I have allergic reactions to bug bites with a history of cellulitis. I have a bite now on my fore arm that is the entire size of my forearm with a line traveling up my arm. Do I need to see a doctor right away or can I wait until the morning?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello Dear and thanks for writing in
Treatment of bug bite depends on the type of reaction. If there is only redness and pain at the site of the bite, application of ice is adequate treatment. Clean the area with soap and water to remove contaminated particles left behind by insect. You may apply antihistamine such as diphenhydramine cream or other antiseptic cream at the site. This is all you have to done in home care.

As you have a history of allergic reactions and cellulitis, in my opinion you need not to take a chance. Go to the ER get antihistamine like Pheniramine (Avil) in injectable form or as advised by your doctor. You may need proper wound care and a course of antibiotic depending upon the examination of the site and symptoms present.

Hope I have answered you question. Write again if you have another query. I will be happy to answer it.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor