What do presence of white fluid in the corner of the eyes indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: after waking up in the morning, i find white fluid at the inner corner of the eyes. Sometimes at lower eye lid too. after cleaning it up, it comes up in little quantity im the day too.
What should be done?
Will mild eyedrops like borosol help?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be conjunctivitis or Dacryocystitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealhcareMagic for your query,

I've gone through your query in details.

Most commonly discharge is often associated with an eye condition called conjunctivitis.

Conjunctivitis may be infectious (caused by a viral or bacterial infection), or sterile(caused by allergy, or some other irritant). It can be anything from eye discharge, ranging from infections to allergic reactions to eye injury.

However, White mucus is a common sign of dacryocystitis, or the nasolacrimal sac or tear drainage system infection.

But initially use antibiotic with antihistaminic drop for few days if not relieved, test for Dacryocystitis has to be done by an Ophthalmologist.

Borosol contains Boric acid which is a very mild antibiotic, it can be helpful but i would suggest you to use Moxifloxacin 2 drops three times a day along with antihistaminic decongestant Naphazoline/Pheniramine for 5 days along with tablet Fexofenadine (eg. Allegra) 180mg once daily for 5 days ( may need prescription for this).

If no relieved, do consult an Ophthalmologist in person for a check-up.

Feel free to ask further.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee