How can a swollen uvula be treated?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I ate very spicy wings and also a couple spoonfulsome of hot sauce yesterday. When I woke up my uvula feels swollen and elongated to the point it touches my tongue and I feel it flip forward when I cough. What can I do to treat this?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?? Probably either an allergic reaction or an infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There could be two possibilities in my opinion:

1. Allergic reaction to one of the ingredients or even just the spice: In this scenario, the use of anti-histamine drugs (e.g. pheniramine) can help reduce the swelling and provide relief

2. Infection: If you do not find relief from the use of anti-histamines or if you feel the uvula seems to be increasing in size then it quite possibly be an infection that may require medical attention, primarily with the help of antibacterial or fungal coverage (depending on the source of the infection).

In the meantime, you can also choose to:

+Gargle your mouth with a little salt mixed in lukewarm water several times a day
+Use an oral disinfectant mouth wash (E.g. Betadine mouth wash)
+Use a pain management medication (E.g. Disprin MD: Which should be dissolved in lukewarm water, gargled and spat out to help deal with the pain)

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad