Getting sharp pain around breast. Muscle spasm?
Thanks for writing to us
There are various causes of pain in the breast.
Normal premenstrual breast tenderness, which might be more noticeable in the peri menopausal age , as you are around 46. This is not present all through the cycle.
Cyclical breast pain ( cyclical mastalgia ) is when pain persists for more than 7 days each month. It typically occurs in the Upper and outer area of breasts, and is bilateral, often referring to the neck area.
Non cyclical and unilateral pain as in your case could be due to mastitis ( inflammation of the breast ), trauma, thrombophlebitis, breast cysts or breast tumours.
Various conditions outside the breast tissue might present in this way. Costochondritis is pain over the rib, and is often not radiated anywhere, and as you mentioned, is increased by breath intake or movement. Ay other chest wall muscular pain also presents similarly.
Rare causes could include nerve pain, herpes, referred shoulder pain, cardiac pain ( angina ) presenting atypically, Peptic ulcer etc.
Intake of hormone containing medications might cause similar breast pain, but it is also more likely to be bilateral.
As the causes are various, and range from mild to serious ones, you need to consult your Gynecologist, for a thorough check up, examination and palpation of both breasts, surrounding tissue and general examination to rule out other causes. An ultrasound or mammogram might be suggested if the clinical work up indicates that.
Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Cardiac pain normally does not increase with breathing or movement.
However, only a detailed evaluation can rule it out, as it is notorious for atypical presentations.
You could also have a muscular or nerve pain - the description fits that.
Please go for a consultation as soon as possible, so that you are assured.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Why am I getting pain and electric sensation after having intercourse?
- Mirena inserted. Itchy rashes appeared, missing periods and having...
- Follicular study showed enlarged ovary, thick endometrium and no fluid....
- Pregnant. Started spotting after intercourse. Feeling tired with sore...
- Pregnant. Accidentally inhaled goof off rust stain remover. Should I be...
- How to abort 2 weeks pregnancy?
- Itchy clitoris and feeling uncomfortable after using vagifem. Suggest...
- Have had scanty period, heaviness in abdomen and moles on face. What is...
- 54 years old. Feeling bloated, frequent urination and getting delayed...
- Had vulval intraepithelial neoplasia surgery. Getting loose flaps of...