Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Getting irregular periods after C-Section delivery. What is the problem?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 816 Questions
My wife gave birth a baby by C-Section delivery two and half months back. After Postpartum Bleeding (for 15 days), she is getting her monthly cycles in 12days intervals. Last time(15 days back) our Gynecologists (who help in delivering the baby) prescribed tab "Pause". She got her cycle again after 6 days after finishing the PAUSE tabs.
Can you tell me what the problem is? Is there something wrong during the delivery? Who is the best Gynecologists to address this problem in Bangalore
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 59 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The excessive bleeding is common following Cesarean section.
But in your case it is occurring almost 3months later.
Usually the causes of excessive blood loss immediately following the operation are surgical like slipped ligature, atony of uterus, lacerations.
I the first two weeks it is related to heavy lochia rubra and infections.
Still later the chances of these causes are less but infection may persist or there may be retained fragments of placenta or there may be a derangement of coagulation leading to excessive bleeding.
Your Gynecologist has addressed the coagulation part by starting Pause.
I would suggest that you should get a basic work up to find out the cause.
Get a ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis focusing the uterus/ trans-vaginal ultrasound if radiologist finds a need for that, CBC, RFT, Ca/Mg levels, Peripheral blood smear, aPTT & INR and review.
If hemoglobin level is less than 8.0 gram/dl she will need blood transfusion.
There are good Gynecologists in the equipped hospitals of Banglore, you should consult the one who is available at the earliest.
I hope your wife's problem would be solved through my advise. I will be happy to solve your further queries. In case you are satisfied with my answer, please close the discussion and put a rating for it.
Dr.Monika Choudhary
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor