Getting hot flashes and have clammy skin. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I have had a bout with the flu and no longer have a fever. However, I get periodic hot flashes and clammy skin. Is this something that I need to be concerned about? The flu started about a week ago with a fever of 102.7. After about 2 days I felt better but then it came back with a fever of 101. I haven't had a fever for 24 hrs but I have night sweats and hot flashes during the day.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Two sudden fevers can indicate that first one was caused by flu virus, but the second one could be caused by bacterial infection. If so, antibiotics might be necessary. Moreover a week is quite long time for flu. Usually it takes about few days to get over it. At your age flu can become serious disease as immune system does not work as fast as it should.
So I suggest you to visit your doctor for check up. Especially if you do have cough, shortness of breath, chest pains, dizziness or any other neglecting symptoms.
Another thing is that night sweats and hot flashes can be caused by any kind of cancer disease. This is always possible and this can be not related to the previous infection. This is another reason for you to visit a doctor. I do not know how was your prostate treated and what test were performed, but if it was some time ago, you should have abdominal,chest and spine CT (or MRI).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.