Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Gastric bypass surgery to be done. Trying to lose weight. Should I go for surgery for weight loss?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
weight issuesHello my name is XXXXXXX I am 16 years old I weigh 240 pounds. I talked to my doctor about having a like to least 150 . my little sister is 13.and she weighs 250 . we need help late. what should we need help.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I understand what you are going through. You are certainly depressed and I hope you are not considering harming yourself. As you currently you have depression and whatever decision you take right now will not be rational and practical. You need to visit a nearby psychiatrist and discuss the issue with him. He would like to administer you some talk therapy and also start you on some drugs (SSRI / Bupropion) after which you will start feeling better in 1-2 weeks time.

Coming to your weight issue, it is always reversible. Surgery is an option, but then lifestyle change and conservative treatment are also available. I am sure you are exercising regularly and also maintaining your diet. If not then please do that; as it will definitely benefit your weight as well as mood. There are certain drugs like rimonabant, metformin and topiramate which can reduce your weight. You may discuss with your current physician about the aforementioned drugs - those can help you too.
Surgical remedies can be considered under trained experts if all conservative measures do not help.

But then these issues can always wait and your depressive thoughts warrant immediate attention. Please seek help of a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.

Wish you a good health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor