GGT test showed 103 U/L. What does this mean?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi, I am from Chile and very worry about the result of my g.glutamil transferasa test, I have 103 U/L

Thanks in advance for your information
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
GGT is a liver enzyme and in females the normal range is 0 - 45 U/L. GGT blood levels may be elevated due to liver disease, hepatitis, gallstones, diabetes, pancreatic disease, kidney failure, alcohol misuse, certain prescription drugs, certain herbs and supplements or taking very high amounts of supplements.
As far as I am concerned with reviewing these results I am not concerned that anything worrisome is going on as there is only mild rise in the enzyme levels.
What is important in your case is to follow the trend over time of your liver enzymes. If there is a trend in a direction which continues to increase overtime then a investigation can be done regarding that. If this somehow does happen your doctor will do an ultrasound scan or perhaps a referral to a gastroenterologist. Right now it is very premature to even worry about this.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.