Found painful red spots on groin area. What medication is needed?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have these spots on my groin area, not by my vagina hole or anything, that are slightly soft/hard.they are reddish purple in color. They only come 1 at a time and are filled with serous and sanguenous excretions when I squeeze them. They have left scars from previous spots and I sometimes get them on my upper inner thighs too. They are painful at times and sometimes don't stop bleeding for minutes after I pop them. They are not in grown hairs either. Please help because they keep coming back!
They also feel like they sometimes grow right underneath the skin, like it almost feels like a lump is growing right below the problem spot and are tender to touch. Are there medications I need? I've had them for roughly 3-4 years on and off. I'm a nurse but I've never heard of this before. Please help asap
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later

I will be glad to be of assistance and will try to answer all your queries till you get a satisfactory answer.

From your description it seems that you are getting furunculosis which is a bacterial infection of the skin.

Since you are getting repeated episodes, it's more likely that you are harbouring these bacteria staphylococcus in your groins. Therefore it is recommended that you take a short course of antibiotics like Erythromycin. It's a prescription medication and you may need to take a prescription from your doctor.

In the meanwhile, you can apply mupirocin cream on the affected areas-twice a day for a week -every month-for six months. This should help in resolving your concern.

Hope my recommendations are useful to you. Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 8 hours later
Is there a reason they keep coming back? Will antibiotics get rid of them for good? Would amoxicillin work? I do not have insurance so the cheapest treatment possible is what I'm looking for. Is it caused from sweat?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

Furunculosis is caused by a bacteria called staphylococcus.

Recurrence indicates that there is harbouring of the bacteria in the groins.

Amoxicillin will resolve the active lesions

In order to prevent a recurrence its necessary to apply mupirocin cream the way I recommended.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E