Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Fluid filled painful growth inside vagina. What is it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have a strange growth coming out of my vagina. I can sort of push it back in, but sometimes it just pops out. It's about the size of a almond and it appears to be attached to the wall of my vagina. It also is filled with fluid/ maybe some blood. It sort of started hurting today, but I'm not sure if it was because I was sitting cross-legged. What is it? What do I need to do about it?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later


Thanks for posting your query.

According to your description, you might be suffering from inflammation of the bartholin glands which are two very tiny glands secreting lubricating fluid. Sometimes one of these glands form a fluid filled bartholin cyst due to blocked drainage. It is usually painless to start just feel like a fluid filled swelling in vagina near entrance but if it gets infected it becomes pus filled and painful i.e. called bartholin’s abscess.

You seem to have recent infection of the bartholin cyst, so please consult your gynecologist as soon as feasible so that the diagnosis can be confirmed and treatment can be started.

Treatment of early conditions includes medication like antibiotics antiinflammatory drugs.
Warm sitz bath taken at home may help in early healing and provide some relief.

In very late cases, if you develop fever, tenderness or very painful enlarged abscess, minor surgical drainage may be required.

Currently I think your case can be treated conservatively with medical drugs - anti inflammatory medication along with antibiotics. I encourage you to consult your gynecologist for a thorough examination. Surgical drainage is entailed after physical consultation.

Though there is no emergency to see a doctor soon, it's best to visit your doctor early to help in faster healing.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor