Fever with joint pain. Test showed ANA positive and granular covering nucleus. Is this serious?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: HI Doctorr,
This is XXXXXXX. Find below a medical report of My Friends mom. She is suffering from fever for one one month followed by joint pain.The report they have given is as follows
ANA-Intensity:1+
positivein 1:100titer pattern:Hep 2 cells:
granular covering nucleus.suggestive of anti jo1 pattern.
could you please let me know what this report says.Is it some thing serious.Please Let me know.
Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

ANA(anti-nuclear antibody) 1+ means positive titre of variety of auto antibodies directed against components of the cell nucleus. It is found in Systemic autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus(SLE), progressive systemic sclerosis (PSS), rheumatoid arthritis (RA),Sjögren’s syndrome, dermatomyositis, and mixed MCTD).

Anti XXXXXXX 1 pattern shows disease association with polymyositis, dermatomyositis.

These are auto-immune diseases, so thorough clinical evaluation is necessary to decide over diagnosis and further treatment plan. Auto immune diseases are those in which our body's immune system starts fighting against our own body tissues.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by a Rheumatologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you so much. I will consult a Rheumatologist for the dignosisis and post you the result.

Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

I am glad to know I could address your concerns.
You are always welcome.. I will be happy to help you.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad