Fever, abdominal pain with metallic taste. Test showed high liver enzymes and globulin. Surgery needed?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: gallbladder I have been sick for 9 months, no joke. Low grade fever between 99 and 100 every after noon. I also have severe stomach pains at times. Almost always nauseated.after eating. If I eat maybe a half a cup of food I feel like I ate a whole thanksgiving meal. I vomit about 3 times a wk when I try to eat a full meal. I also have had a metallic taste in my mouth for.3 months. I have lost 30 lbs in about 3 1/2 months. bad burning upper stomach pain. The only thing blood tests showers were high liver enzymes and globulin. I have to get fluids occasionally. I was in the urgent care 2 x this week and the doctor did an ultrasound. It showed sludge and inflammation and something about the duct. Next they do a HIDA scan. My question is, do stones always show up on ultrasound and do my findings mean surgery? Not getting enough food is making me miserable. I just want to enjoy food again. Do you think the problem will go away on its own. I am in pain now. I am really weak.
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

The symptoms which you have described, all are suggestive of cholicystitis (inflammation of gall bladder) and ultra sound confirmed it. Most common cause of cholicystitis is stone or sludge in gall bladder.

Yes, ultra sound is very sensitive in picking up gall bladder (GB) stones and almost all GB stones are diagnosed by ultrasound and yes, GB sludge need surgery.

Problem cannot go of itself without surgery. You will be able to enjoy food again after surgery.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have more queries.

Get well soon.
Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sadiq Mughal 38 hours later
The pain is now dominant in right side. Is there a reason this is happening the most at night? Is there anything to relieve this?
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 9 hours later
Thanks for your follow up.
This pain which is more dominant on the right side could be due to cholecystitis (inflammation of gall bladder)
Cholecystitis usually causes hyperacidity . Hyperacidity can give you pain especially during night. Additionally, cholecystitis is responsible for constant pain.
although the definitive treatment for this would be a removal of the gall bladder when things settle down, as of now, you can take Tablet Prevacid OTC 1 tablet once daily 1 hour before breakfast. 1 For the pain, you could take Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet 6 hourly. You would also need a course of antibiotics and some analgesics like oxycodone for which you would need to see your physician.
Please restrict your dietary intake to a bare minimum and have as many fluids with glucose and salt as possible.

Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries
Get well soon
Dr Sadiq
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Sadiq Mughal 6 days later
a lab test showed high protein levels in my blood. gamma was high. could all of these problems cause the elevation or do you think its 2 separate issues?
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
Hello thanks for your follow up.
The proteins levels in blood are increased in chronic infection like the one you are (of gall bladder) having,but I would like to know values of your result,as gamma globulins are also increased in conditions other than chronic infection.
Hope this answers your question.
Get well soon
Regard
Dr Sadiq