Felt node under armpit. Worried for lymph gland cancer

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Lymphoma
Question: hi doctor it has been 7 days,... i have felt node under my armpit .. and i had one front of my left under nipple... i feel itchy as well... im worried about..lympth gland cancer... in november i had lot of blood test and everything came bk with in range...the reason i had blood test is...because i had melena last year.and they wanted to check my blood ..because i had low blood count..but my blood test is november is in range.. but last 7 days i have little soft lump under my armpit..and i fell itchy as well/.///.. i can see the one i have under my nipple is going to diseppear...but the one under my armpit..its a soft small..i look up internet it showa as a node.. could u help me please
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
1. This most likely is a reactive lymph node.There are many lymph nodes normally present in the armpit region. They are normally not palpable. After enlarging during inflammation or infection they rarely regress to their normal size and then can be felt (palpated) but remain non-tender.

2. Lymphomas are rare tumors. Lymphomas are a large group of varied types of cancers and many are low grade. Such cancers which are detected early are treated with good results. In your case it is unlikely since all your blood reports were normal in November.

3. Most cancers will have other constitutional symptoms such as weight loss, night sweats, unexplained fever, multiple lumps and so on. Do you have any of these symptoms?

4. I must emphasize that if there are no other symptoms, then the chances of cancer are very low. You have a long standing solitary lymph node which seems to have reduced in size. Tumors or cancers do not reduce in size. Hence you should not worry.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.