Owl Image

Felt lump on arm and having severe pain. Any cure?

Owl Image
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Question
Hi, Yesturday I suddenly felt severe pain in my arm not far from my elbow when I looked at it I noticed no brusing or discoloration but when I touched it, it felt like there was a lump. Whenever I touch the lump I feel so much pain. What can this lump be? And what do you recommend to do? Thank you for your time.
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
A lump near the elbow which is painful or increasing in size with no history of trauma can be due to-
1. Ganglion Cyst: This is because muscle tissues in the area of the joints can become inflamed through strains, sprains or repeatedly being injured.
2. Synovial Cyst: is again a fluid-filled sack
3. Lipoma
4. Swollen Lymph Node: This can be due to infections like bacterial or viral.
5. Bursitis or Epicondylitis: This is also a infectious tissue.
To get rid from this problem you may need a course of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. Usually these types of lumps get recovered by medications. But it is always advisable to consult your doctor and get clinically examined. Nothing can be commented without clinical examination of the lump. So feel free to consult your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.