Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Fell on knee, have cut and burning pain, stiff knee and ankle, swelling and bruising. Should I go to doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
My mothe-in-law is 81 and fell on her knee ABOUT A WEEK AGO. She can walk but has a cut on knee ( knee cap area) with a burning pain in cut and a stiff knee and ankle. About 3 days into it, her leg began swelling from knee down to and including foot, with XXXXXXX purple bruising on front of leg mostly. She is visiting us now and she had not treated herself, but we are putting ice on knee and leg, having her elevate her leg and I will be giving her Ibrupofen now every four hours. Should she go to doctor when she goes home MonDAY?
thank you
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query!

Most likely your mother-in-law is suffering from hematoma located somewhere inside muscles. This happens when during the trauma some blood vessels gets ruptured and blood gets out from vessels to the space inside the muscles. This causes compression of the muscles and other vessels. When muscles and vessels get squeezed blood can not flow freely. This leads to tissues necrosis and can be life-treating. Moreover, veins compressions causes veins thrombosis. Both thrombosis and hematoma occurs with leg swelling.

Your mother-in-law should visit a doctor right away. According to mentioned symptoms, some surgery might be necessary (hematoma should be cut and evacuated). Also anticoagulants should be prescribed.
There is also a risk of bones fractures so the X-rays should be performed. Knee stiffness might be also caused by some liquid present inside the knee, which should be drained as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor