Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Fell from stairs. Having hip pain, sharp pain in groin area and knee is swollen. Could I ask a doctor?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
10 years ago I fell down 10 concrete steps, broke my left foot and landed on my right hip. At the time I couldn't have the hip looked at because I had no insurance and the foot needed emergency surgery. I have been dealing with hip pain ever since the accident. At first I thought it was just weight and muscle issues until I started having difficulties standing, sitting or walking for too long. When walking at a fast clip I would get a sharp pain in the groin area of the hip and lose the ability to bear weight on that leg. I have been seen by a doctor and a physical therapist through a group insurance program, but they were no help. They blamed the issue on my weight and I do not deny that it contributes to the problem. However they saw me for three visits and said I needed to lose weight and exercise more. Now the pain is worse. If I am sitting and move to close my legs, I get the same sharp pain and I feel a clicking in the joint which releases the sharp pain. I walk with a limp and now my left knee is swelling and becoming painful if I over do things such as mow my law or go grocery shopping. If I stand for too long I put most of my weight on my left leg and I sometimes have a tingling feeling in my left thigh. I am trying to lose weight and exercise on a stationary bike, but again the pain is enough to keep me tossing and turning at night and I am losing sleep. I don't know who to see at this point or what to do. I have a strong distrust of doctors right now because of the experience I have had with that well known group healthcare. What could be the problem? What type of doctor do you recommend I see?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suffering from a poorly treated injury

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well, I will like to start by letting you that not all health care providers are good but do know that the majority do their best to provide the utmost health to their patients. You might have had a bad experience with dealing with other health care providers or doctors but do not give up and be optimistic.
According your description, it seems to me that you might be suffering from a bone and medications or to an extend late surgery can be performed to remedy what should have been done a long time ago.
The doctor(s) of choice for you will either be an orthopedic surgeon and/or a rheumatologist who at the end of providing you with appropriate treatment will recommend a physiotherapist. Physical therapist can not help much when your injury is still much, they mostly give both psychological and physical support to already healing injury.
Normally, the doctors handling you should run some tests including doing some scans to find out if there is any abnormality that might be causing the pain. If any, then appropriate treatment will be given to remedy this. Normally, weight should aggravate an existing injury.
Your problem might be that you are suffering from a poorly treated bone injury( fracture or dislocation) and soft tissue injury which might due to negligence become problematic. Where there is a pain, there is an injury which needs to be looked into. I suggest you ask around for an orthopedic surgeon and/or rheumatologist, either can help you with the problem. In the meantime, you will need to be on pain medications indicated for the degree of pain you are having.
You might also need a lot of psychological support.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor