Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Fell down and now unable to bend finger. What is causing this and treatment require?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 561 Questions
I had a fall did not appear to have any injuries...a few weeks later my thumbs were stuck and would not bend. At night my three other fingers on my right hand get stuck. What is this and what is best treatment.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
There is very less likely possibility that remote trauma is causing present symptoms. Stiffness in lateral digits can be explained by xray wrist joint previously.
2. Do you have any thyroid problem.
3. Do you have any sensitivity for cold.
On basis of proper history it will be possible to make precise diagnosis and to guide you to specialist. If needed repeat xrays or ultrasonography of wrist may be needed.

Looking forward for your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Fell down and now unable to bend finger. What is causing this and treatment require? 12 hours later
No to both number 2 and three. I have not had xrays as I did not feel as though I had broken anything. I am also worried about costs.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later

Thanks for your response.

I presume the fingers affected are on the same side and that was the same side which was affected by the fall. If yes, then I think you must consider visiting a board certified orthopaedician - as clinical examination looks necessary.

It appears to be a local problem related to the old trauma mostly involving the wrist joint. In the absence of injury related events, systemic causes like hypothyroidism and Reynaud’s phenomenon need to be ruled out.

I don't think we can be able to rule the aforementioned possibilities away without a clinical examination and basic investigations like X-rays and sonography (these test should not be very costly). Alternatively you could try a low cost clinic where an orthopedic expert is available for a careful examination.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor