Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Feels like room is spinning and have dizziness. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3613 Questions
feeling dizzy went standing up room is spinning continues after laying down
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Vertigo needs workup, Symptomatic treatment Detailed Answer: Hello Patty! I went through your query. I believe its the flu you had a shot for which resulted in vertigo. Viral infection are very common for Vertigos. But we will talk about all the possible etiologies for it possible. you need some vestibular suppressants for symptomatic treatment. You may ask your doctor about cinnarazine and/or Betahistine like medicines for immediate relief. some antiviral medication, and some antiemetic medications. I suggest salt restriction and diuretic group of medicines for vertigo there are some other options which you may consider from like antihistamines, benzodiazepines, phenothiazines, monoaminergic agents, and anticholinergic agents. But more importantly you need to know the reason for your this vertigo. vertigo has many causes.Inner ear diseases like meniere disease is one of them, But more common are history of falls or headaches and migraines. answer some of my questions first. -Do you have light-headedness, unsteadiness, motion intolerance, imbalance, floating, or a tilting sensation? -Do you have any viral infection history in near past? -Do you experience any hearing loss in affected ear or opposite one? -How long does the sensation persists? is it for seconds only or associated with head or body position changes or last for hours? -was the vertigo sudden in onset? -Do you have any history of migraine headaches, cold sores or viral illnesses? -Did you take any medicine or recreational drug in recent past? -DO you drink or smoke? -How old are you?(old people vertigo above 40 years is more serious. you will need a thorough physical examination like vestibular exams,(ositioning,caloric testings,posture and gait testing etc) and vestibular stress exams, some hyperventilation exams. electronystagmographies,rotating chair test,computerized dynamic posturography etc to rule out any serious underlying trouble. Mean while i would recommend signing up to some vestibular rehabilitation programs for their promising results. Hope i was of some help. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, I would love to answer. Otherwise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. I wish you very good luck and take some every good care of yourself. Regards Dr Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor