Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Feeling uncomfortable after taking apo-clarithromycin 500 mg. When should I go for medical advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2348 Questions
I have a rx for apo-clairthromycin 500 ( 20 tabs) Today I completed day 7 and I still feel horrible. When should I return to the doctor.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later


Thanks for the query

Clarithromycin is not the drug of choice for the treatment of sinusitis. You will require antibiotics such a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime or gemifloxacin for the treatment of the same.

Apart from the antibiotics, you need to follow the below mentioned measures to take care of the infection.
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the cough.
3. Avoid coffee and chilled beverages.
4. A mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus.
5. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for headache and throat pain.

If your condition does not improve with the above measures, please consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor