Owl Image

Feeling tightness on forehead, difficulty to move neck and numbness on face. Any treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Tightness on forehead, sharp pains all over head, difficult moving neck, had numbness of the face earlier in the month
Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From the symptoms it can be primary headache like migraine or sinus headache if you are having any cold or sinus congestion.
Other possible causes could be:
- Headache related to infection/post infection
- Temporal arteritis / tension type headaches.
- Anxiety/ stress/ eye strain.
For such headaches, try these lifestyle modifications:
1) Go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day. Do not skip any meals and since the headaches worsen after eating food with white flour, avoid taking it in diet.
2) Exercise regularly (daily if possible) and limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques. Yoga and meditation will also help.
3) Avoid bright or flashing lights and wear sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger.
4) Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.
5) You can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific investigations and treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Feeling tightness on forehead, difficulty to move neck and numbness on face. Any treatment? 4 days later
I also have a pressure feeling on the back left side of my head, around the round part, this worsens as I tilt be head and back etc. Does this clarify any further or bring anything new up?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the headache worsens on tilting back then a vestibular cause also needs to be ruled out. You need to consult an ENT specialist and a neurologist for a proper evaluation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.