Feeling slight chest congestion and urge to burp. Chest x-ray normal. Could it be acid reflux?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm having the following symptoms since the last few months:
* Shortly after lying down on my back, I feel slight chest congestion (gurgling feeling while breathing-in deeply the first time, goes away in successive XXXXXXX breaths). Also feel the urge to clear my throat (sometimes productive-clear, mostly dry).
* Constant feeling like something is present in the central area of my chest/tightness in the upper back area below the neck.
* An urge to burp (resulting in mostly acidic taste in mouth)

I've been to a doctor who says the chest xray is ok and the lungs are clear. BP/Heart rate is normal. He suggested that it might be acid reflux and muscular discomfort and gave me medication (a PPI and a small dose of pain killer). That seemed to have relieved the problem temporarily but it has now increased again.

Please suggest what might be the issue. This is worrying me a lot.

Kindly let me know if any more information is required.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 43 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of acid reflux disease as mentioned by your doctor. The very point that you got some relief with PPI confirms that diagnosis.

You need to take PPI for about 4-8 weeks. along with that certain lifestyle modifications are also needed.

1. Weight reduction if obese
2. Avoid coffee, citrus, fatty food, tomatoes, chocolates, onion, smoking and alcohol
3. Dont eat larger meals. Eat smaller frequent meals.
4. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 59 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Kini,

Thank you for your prompt reply. My answers and a question are below:

>> 1. Weight reduction if obese
Weight is under control (65 kgs, waist 32)

>> 2. Avoid coffee, citrus, fatty food, tomatoes, chocolates, onion, smoking and alcohol
Non smoker and I don't consume alcohol. I will avoid the other items mentioned.

>> 3. Dont eat larger meals. Eat smaller frequent meals.
Ok, I'll do that.

>> 4. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.
Ok, I'll do that.

>> You need to take PPI for about 4-8 weeks. along with that certain lifestyle modifications are also needed.
Any suggestions for a PPI medicine (or should I resume the one suggested by my doctor)? Also, any further tests I should be doing to confirm that I have acid reflux?

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
You have not mentioned what PPI you are taking.
I would suggest Capsule Sompraz-L once daily half an hour breakfast for 4-8 weeks.

No need for any more tests as response to PPI itself is enough to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini