Feeling pain and discomfort in leg and foot. Looking for permanent relief

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Not every night but lately more and more. I wake up during the night for pain/disconfort on my right leg.
The Pain is on the back part of my leg and foot.
when the "pain" starts i have to move my leg to feel temporary better.
I get temporary relief when i stretch my foot leg after i have pain.
When this happen i can't sleep
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hello.

Your symptoms are suggestive of restless leg syndrome.

It is a neurological disorder. So I would suggest getting this evaluated by a neurologist nearby for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get some tests done to rule out disorders with similar symptoms, including Stress makes it worse. So treatment is aimed at reducing stress and helping the muscles relax. The following techniques may help:

Gentle stretching exercises
Massage
Warm bath

If your sleep is severely disrupted, your doctor may prescribe medications such as Sinemet (an anti-Parkinson's medication), gabapentin and pregabalin, or tranquilizers such as clonazepam.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E