Feeling exhausted and irritated. Should I go for testosterone level check up?

Dr. Stephen Christensen

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My son has been struggling with exhaustion. He has had general blood tests done. He is concerned he has testosterone level issues??? He says he read this can cause exhaustion and irritability. Where can I go to get a blood test to check this?
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 hours later
Hello.
I'm sorry your son isn't feeling well. Many young men are concerned that their testosterone levels are too low, but this is rarely the cause of fatigue and irritability in the adolescent population. More common causes are depression, sleep deprivation, substance abuse, and anemia. Hypothyroidism is more common than you might think in this age group, too. (Anemia and hypothyroidism may have been ruled out with the tests that have already been done.)
Your blood test to check your son's testosterone level. If it is normal, this should put the "testosterone issue" to rest. (Some teenage males who are interested in "bulking up" use their fatigue and irritability as an excuse to use illicit anabolic steroids. If that describes your son's situation, be alert to this possibility.)
I hope that answers your question. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli