Fatigue, muscle pain. Taking physiotherapy for whiplash injury. Treatment?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have suspected for years that I might have fibromyalgia but have resisted pursuing a diagnosis. I'm dealing with more and more pain and wonder if there is any benefit to a diagnosis - are there actual treatments? I'm somewhat afraid of a label. I do have occasional days of fatigue, especially following a day of increased activity. When I have a therapeutic massage, I am shocked at how much pain is in my muscles - it never used to be that way. I was very active when I was younger, and used to run (completed a half-marathon in 2007). I am worried that I will never feel well and fit again. I'm currently in physio after a whip-lash injury four weeks ago and find it hard to explain how the acute pain overlies the chronic pain. The physiotherapist looks at me as though I am making it up. It is very frustrating. I do work outside of the home, and just live with it but feel a though it is beginning to overwhelm me.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Hello;

It sounds like you have fatigue and muscle aches. This can be caused by many medical issues. One to consider is sleep apnea, sleep deprivation and possible fibromyalgia, I would not stick with that diagnosis until you have had a thorough eval to rule out everything else. I find that patients who have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia have such because the doctor couldn't find anything else.

Massage helps, getting a lot of sleep helps and non steroidal pain medications like Advil and Alleve help.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T