Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Eye lids swollen and red. Why is the other eye also infected? Why is an ear also infected?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions
My 9 yr old son had 1of his eye lids swell and get red. Then it started to go down and the other eye did the same. 1ear is red and when touching the bone behind his ear we both felt a vibration.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Red and swollen eyelids with a red ear seems to be either due to lymphatic drainage problem or is due to any infection- these can range from bacterial to virus infections, and can be caused by numerous different things ranging from allergies to chemicals.
Using dirty contact lenses and sinusitis can also lead to such a swelling of the eyelids and ear.

The first thing he can do, regardless of the cause of swollen eyelids is avoid touching, rubbing or staring at the swelling. Staring at the swollen eyelid will only lead to touching and rubbing, so stay out of the mirror and avoid the temptation.

Try using a cold cloth or even cucumbers twice a day.
Splashing cool water on the face can help reduce the swelling.
Gauze pads soaked in milk can also help reduce the swelling in and around the eyes.
Over-the-counter antihistamines and/or eye drops can help too.
Physical check up is necessary to find out the cause. You need to consult his ophthalmologist to get antibiotic and anti allergic eye drops prescribed.
The feeling of vibration behind the ear is not abnormal. It is the transmitted sound.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor