Experiencing walking difficulties. X-ray normal. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Since December my granddaughter has been experiencing problems when walking. Favoring her leg and at times falling. It seems to have gotten worse in time. She is 16 months. We took her to the doctor and at first they didn't think much of it. Last week they sent her for an xray and they said it didn't show anything. They did blood work two days ago and they are saying that her esr level is high and she may have inflammation in the hip and that could be causing the problem. They want to wait a few weeks and test the levels again. The esr level is 34. Just worried that there is more to this but is this possible to be making her favor the leg and have problems walking.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is concerning that she is experiencing new onset walking difficulties.
X XXXXXXX may miss some lesions of the hip and spine that would show up on other imaging tests such a CT scan or MRI.
ESR is a non specific marker for inflammation in the body, if elevated, unless there is an obvious source (like a cough or cold) , then more investigations are warrented.
In terms of the symptoms of musculosketal system it can indicate inflammation or infection of the muscles or bones of the hip or spinal vertebra. In addition any problems with the brain can result in issues of coordination in children.

You need to consider, if possible, revisiting her doctor or another doctor in the area for a second physical examination.
It may be benign cause with no serious sequelae but the cause of the increase in ESR should be determined.

hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions