Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Experiencing walking difficulties. X-ray normal. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14959 Questions
Since December my granddaughter has been experiencing problems when walking. Favoring her leg and at times falling. It seems to have gotten worse in time. She is 16 months. We took her to the doctor and at first they didn't think much of it. Last week they sent her for an xray and they said it didn't show anything. They did blood work two days ago and they are saying that her esr level is high and she may have inflammation in the hip and that could be causing the problem. They want to wait a few weeks and test the levels again. The esr level is 34. Just worried that there is more to this but is this possible to be making her favor the leg and have problems walking.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is concerning that she is experiencing new onset walking difficulties.
X XXXXXXX may miss some lesions of the hip and spine that would show up on other imaging tests such a CT scan or MRI.
ESR is a non specific marker for inflammation in the body, if elevated, unless there is an obvious source (like a cough or cold) , then more investigations are warrented.
In terms of the symptoms of musculosketal system it can indicate inflammation or infection of the muscles or bones of the hip or spinal vertebra. In addition any problems with the brain can result in issues of coordination in children.

You need to consider, if possible, revisiting her doctor or another doctor in the area for a second physical examination.
It may be benign cause with no serious sequelae but the cause of the increase in ESR should be determined.

hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor