Owl Image

Experiencing sharp pain around rib cage. Is it caused due to ovarian cyst?

Owl Image
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Question
For around a year I have been experiencing a sharp pain around my ribcage (under my left nipple) - it is not consistent, and I doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular, but over the course of the year it has got worse (more painful, more regular). Sometimes (if I run, etc) it feels like there is a golf ball under my rib cage in my chest. The pain is similar to a stitch. I have been checked by a doctor and cardiologist (had chest x-ray/holter) and they can't find anthing. I have heard that ovarian cysts can cause this? Should I get a CT scan/be worried?
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain under the ribcage on the left side with chest and cardiac causes ruled out is likely to be due to an intra-abdominal pathology like gastritis, renal calculus or infection, gut infections, etc. Ovarian pathology like cyst is not likely to present with a pain so high up in the abdomen.
Structures which are closely associated to diaphragm on left side can cause such pain. These include, Lower lobe of left lung and left sided pleura, Left Lower Ribs, Spleen, Left Kidney and Stomach.

If there has been injury to the muscles over the abdomen, even then there can be intermittent sharp pain.

Hence, Ultrasound Abdomen is definitely indicated. Since the pain is recurrent, it needs to be investigated.
Till then, you can take analgesics.
Consider taking paracetamol or ibuprofen for your pain.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.