Experiencing pain in knee and feeling difficult to walk. What cure should be done?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Question: Dear Doctor, My name is XXXXXXX from Chembur, Mumbai. I am 39 years old. 5feet and 75 kgs. I go to work - it is a office job. From past six months I have been having pain in the knee. I had been to Naturopathy Dr. in the month of May 2012 who had massage the knee joint and ankle joint daily for three weeks. 10 minutes every day. However from Sept onwards I have started experienceing pain ocassionaly. Twice a week at night I take pain killer. From 1st Nov onwards pain has increased, more in the left knee. Have trouble while travelling to work. Difficulty in climbing stairs. I have attached herewith my X XXXXXXX reports. Please advice. Regards - XXXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
First of all thanks for the X-rays. I have seen your X-ray and there are arthritic changes in both the knees. As I have not seen any marker of Left and right in the X-rays, the X-ray of the knee on the left side of my screen have more changes as compare to the other.

Treatment of knee arthritis should begin with the most basic steps and progress to the more involved, possibly including surgery. Not all treatments are appropriate for every patient, and you should have a discussion with your doctor to determine which treatments are appropriate for your case. The range of options:
1. Weight Loss: One of the most important step in your case as you are about 15-18 kg overweight. The less weight the joint has to carry, the less painful activities will be.
2. Activity Modification: Limiting certain activities like climbing stairs, sitting by wearing weight on feet may be necessary, and learning new exercise methods may be helpful.
3. Physical Therapy: Strengthening of the muscles around the knee joint may help decrease the burden on the knee. Consult your physiotherapist for better exercise and physiotherapy.
4. Anti-Inflammatory Medications: Take Anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen in worse condition to treat pain and inflammation. Apply anti-inflammatory local gels at both knees to reduce pain.
5. Cortisone Injections: Intra-articular Cortisone injections may help decrease inflammation and reduce pain within a joint.
6. Joint Supplements (Glucosamine): Glucosamine appears to be safe and might be effective for treatment of knee arthritis, but consult your treating doctor before starting this drug.
7. Hot fermentation and wearing a Knee cap or elastic bandage may help you.
8. Knee Arthroscopy
9. Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Consult your doctor and discuss the number of options with your doctor. Your doctor is the best person to decide by clinical examination that which treatment is best for you and when to go for surgery. So feel free to consult your doctor and plan your treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any related query.

Best Wishes and Get well Soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh