Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Experiencing burning sensation in lower chest area and sore back. Having breathing difficulties. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 600 Questions
hello, i am a 38 year old female smoker who has been in pretty good health lately, but around a fortnight ago i have been experiencing a burning pain in my right lower chest about at the bottom of my ribs it does not stop me from going about my daily activities, it just always seems to be there. .i have been having a bit of a sore lower back in the mornings when i wake up,( i think that might be as we have our 2 year old sleeping between us). I am very scared this pain, it almost feels like its in my lung, but i have no other breathing difficulties or symptons, no colds or cough
I am fearing the worst thinking its lung cancer, can you please offer your opinion.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having right lower chest pain since a fortnight. You had a past history of bronchitis and you are an active smoker.

2. A detailed evaluation is required and investigations include chest Xray and pulmonary function tests. You need to get evaluated with a Pulmonologist. Being a smoker places you at a risk of COPD also. Only after investigations will the cause of chest pain be clearer.

3. Meanwhile you may take analgesic and antacid medications in consultation with your doctor for symptomatic relief.

4. Also do remember its never too late to quit smoking!

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor