Epithelial cells and bacteria detected during routine urine analysis. What does this mean?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Epithelial cells detected during routine urine analysis. Few bacteria also detected. Please let me know what this means
Epithelial cells range : 5-7
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Epithelial cells in urine:
-Generally the epithelial cells that can be present in urine are of two types.
Squamous epithelial cells, which will present in skin and outer urethra can appear in urine due to contamination while collecting the urine.
No need to bother about them.
Transitional epithelial cells will be present in renal pelvis, ureter, bladder etc. If they present more in number they can indicate microscopy as a common finding due to contamination by normal vaginal or external urethral flora.

So to rule out the urinary tract infection better to go for urine culture and sensitivity. Which can confirm the possibility of urinary tract infection and can also detect the causative organism and its sensitivity to drugs.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.